Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Life, My Education

My bedroom on Willow Haven Farm is small yet well lit and a strong lilac color. My bed is a billowy cloud, perfectly coiffed and cuddly. My nighttime companions are music, writings and books. They are always within arms reach when I need them, when fits of fear or nauseating streams of repetitive thought would otherwise take me. They fill up their side of the bed like a beloved companion, filling my time with joy and only occasionally complaining ("Thud!!") when I kick them off the bed in the middle of the night.

Oh my lovely books and my lovely habit of reading four at the same time. Today they are books that redefine the archetypes of masculinity, that cover the meaning of life (consciousness creating and destroying, playing hide and seek with itself), that “Redefin[e] Gravity” and that share the secrets of the millionaire mind. In my commitment to balancing the ethereal with the worldly, I am taking action with my finances and learning about (gasp!) making money. It is something I’ve avoided for a long time, for varying reasons, but it’s time and I’m ready. After all,

my life is my education.

About 8 years ago I made a collage poster, all threaded photos of my trip to Germany, skeletonized supermodels, theatre performances in Chicago, all the many versions of me throughout the years, etc. These images represented the three psychological archetypes: the id (the child), the ego (the adult) and the super ego (the divine) in a pyramid formation. At the core of the pyramid I wrote “My Life, My Education” and from that moment on I knew that I would never again despair at my incongruities. All three are there, I am all three and all three have much to teach.

And I am simply ravenous to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment