Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Work of Fear


While hanging out at my friend Beth's house I saw this sign hanging from her back door.

"I must not fear. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

It's so simple and true. Yet every time fear braces my mind, doubt chasing possibility after possibility into a sterile steel cage, I feel like all will is forfeit. But then it passes, as it always does, and I think "What was I so worried about anyway?". I shuffle along completely unconscious of the tricks fear pulls. I have a lot of fear these days but I am permitting it to pass over me, so that only I will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment