Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Why wait? Be rad now!
My friend Lorene bought me a poster for my birthday a few years. It is of a Dukes of Hazardesque car leaping into frosted pink letters that both adamantly ask and insist, "Why wait? Be rad now!"
I like to think about that a lot. Almost as much as I think about desire. How wanting something makes you feel like a failure because you don't have it yet. And yet, you want it because you think it will make you happy. But we've all had the experience of attaining that drooled over goal and find ourselves left wanting and...maybe even a little disappointed because the reality might not match the fantasy.
So what if the waiting could feel as good, even better, than the satiation of the desire? What if you could be happy now and then, when the desire is attained, you are neither better or worse off? You've just crossed one more thing off your list?
What if you were already rad even without the car, the partner, the house, the record deal, the dream job, the HD plasma screen, the sailboat? What if you'd always been but just forgot in the mess of life's trial and error?
Why wait? Be rad now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh, I love you.
ReplyDeletethank goodness for your words and your wisdom, gahh! xoox
ReplyDelete"Why wait? Be rad now!"...I like that. It's going to be my theme of today! BOOYEAH! It was wonderful talking to you last night, sistah! <3 <3
ReplyDelete